[AZ-Observing] Stupid computer (maybe operator)

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:47:10 -0400

Howdy all;

As some of you know I am going through my observing notes and drawings
from over the years and putting it all together.  It is a somewhat
daunting task and has taken many hours in front of the computing machine
just to get to here...maybe half way done.

I realized today that I was not being consistent in what I called my
telescopes as I entered the notes.  Sometimes it was NS 11 and sometimes
Nexstar 11.  So, I quickly realized the Find and Replace feature on my
text editor could help.

I put in Find "NS" and Replace with "Nexstar".  Suddenly there were many
changes to the constellation I was working in.  I thought "Gee, I did a
lot of observing with the Nexstar in Canis Major" and proceded along.  For
some reason I needed to go back for a moment and then I saw what I had

Because I did not check the box to match the case of the input, it changed
EVERY "ns" to "Nexstar".  So, "chains of stars" became "chaiNexstar of
stars" as did "portions" and others.

To fix the problem demanded time with the human brain computer.  I set the
search for "Nexstar" and let alone the good ones and changed the crazy
ones.  The good news is that I only made about an hours work for myself,
it is a lesson worth learning.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

P.S. If you have a "all you had to do to fix this in 20 seconds was...."
please keep it to yourself, I have completed my fix and it worked.

See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and please 
send personal replies to the author, not the list.

Other related posts: