[AZ-Observing] Re: Still More Comet McNaught Photos (and a movie)

  • From: "Neville Cole" <nevillecole@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:26:39 -0700

I saw it from my neighborhood over in Litchfield Park for the first time
tonight.  Quite a bonus considering the way the weather forecasts have been
sounding.

Anyways, I was using 7 X 50 binocs and thought the nucleus appeared as a
short length (perpendicular to the horizon) a couple times, rather than a
more stellar looking point.  Frank, maybe we were seeing something
similar...

The tail appeared to be a couple degrees long, and I would estimate the
nucleus was mag -2.

Tom, what's this "forward scattering event" you mentioned?  Not that we're
going to actually get to see it (again with the continuing poor weather
forecast).

- Neville