[AZ-Observing] Steve Coe--Observing near Reno, Nevada

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:20:18 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy all;

I have several folks send me email that says they enjoy hearing about my
travels.  I will start each email with my name so if you are not
interested, you can just hit delete.

After spending a few days near the little town of Ely, Nevada I made my
way over to Reno and am spending a week to get past the Fourth of July
weekend.  I really don't wish to be on the road during a major holiday
weekend.  I did have fun in Ely riding a steam train from the town to a
small mine about 10 miles away.  Lots of cinders, but an enjoyable ride.

Last night was nice and clear and I set up the 6 inch refractor and showed
other people in this RV park the Moon, Saturn and Alberio.  Lots of fun
and had several people thank me extensively, they had never had a chance
to view through a scope.  Right now there are some clouds moving in so I
might not be able to do it again for a few nights.

I am still enjoying the sharp views through the 6 inch and even though
last night had mediocre seeing there was lots of contrasty detail on the
Moon.  The rings of Saturn at 150X are still very edge, but the satellites
are easy because of that.  Titan, Rhea and Tethys were easy and one other
was just seen at the edge of the rings, I think it was Enceladus.

My Sirius mount failed while I was in Sierra Vista and Dean at Starizona
made me an offer I can't refuse on a new Celestron CGEM mount.  It is much
beefier than the Sirius and has several features I really like.  I will
provide a more complete report once I use it more.  But I am impressed
with what I have done so far.

I have never been in Reno before and plan to go see the Harrah's
Automobile collection either later today or tomorrow.  I have also never
seen Lake Tahoe and I have that on the list of things to see.  I plan to
get back on the road on Tuesday and make my way north to the Table
Mountain Star Party in Washington, near Yakima.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe