[AZ-Observing] Starlight Xpress Lodestar camera

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:37:24 -0700

Hi all,
  I've been investigating auto guiders of late, and the camera model
shown in the subject line appears to be a good candidate. I do not have
a mobile computer which runs Windows natively, so I'm looking for a
camera which is either supported directly in Linux or will work with
Windows 7 running in a virtual machine (VM). Mike Wiles graciously
loaned me an SBIG ST-i for a couple of weeks, and while I was able to
install all of the required software in the VM, I was not successful
getting the USB link to function properly. The SBIG drivers are reported
to work with XP in a virtual machine, however I do not have access to a
license for that OS.

  I've seen reports of success running a Lodestar in a VM hosted on
MacOS, and there are also a couple of native Linux options. If you live
in the valley and have one of these cameras, would there be any chance I
might borrow it for a few tests? I can probably learn everything I need
to know within a couple of days. Note that I'm not looking to use it in
the field. If I can get the software to work such that I can establish a
link to the camera and capture an image, I'll assume that it will guide
as well as many others have reported in the various forums.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx