[AZ-Observing] Star Party at Sentinel 1-4 Dec 05

  • From: "Howard C. Anderson" <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-obs <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, evacorg <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:01:37 -0700

Hi,

Short report:

Arrived early afternoon on Thursday.  Steve Coe arrived a little later.
Good weather until about 11 PM.  Seeing was very good.  Mars was
very stable when viewed via ToUcam Webcam and Laptop...

Then it socked in.  Weather stayed socked in until Saturday night.
Quite a few people turned up in spite of the questionable weather.

I was able to take a few images with the ST-7XME and a Mars
movie via the ToUcam webcam and they are at:
    http://www.astroshow.com/ccdpho/ccdpho.htm#Sentinel05

Interesting clouds on Mars along the terminator as the dark side
rotated into view.

Learned some good stuff about mechanically balancing my LX-200 10"
from Dave Schaffer.  Spent part of today working with a Radio Shack
Aluminum project box.  Cut it to a new size, melted lead into it with a
blowtorch, etc.  Mounted box in fork arm on the other side of the
Dec motor and Dec gear without modifying the telescope mount.
About 2.5 pounds were required.  Dec Motor is heavy but gear
probably is heavier.  Be interesting to see if it makes any difference...

--

Thanks,

Howard     (in Tempe, Arizona)
http://www.astroshow.com