[AZ-Observing] Re: Star Charts

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:14:06 -0700

Eric, it's a matter of personal choice and preference. I have Sky Safari on
my smart phone and TheSky on my laptop, but I don't use them in the field. I
don't like exposing my laptop to desert conditions, and Safari on the phone
is still awful bright (even in night mode), especially when you have to
"wake up" the screen and get that momentary flash of white-light graphics.

I like charts because I can write on them and make notes about a particular
star in the field, or an  unidentified galaxy I picked up, and so on.

But I don't think either side has a clear advantage over the other. There is
more even in the basic editions of Sky Safari and TheSky than any human has
time to observe.

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, AZ

“Remember:  your mind works faster than you think.”