[AZ-Observing] Re: Spectacular resource for weather forecasting

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:49:42 -0700

On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 03:34 +0000, L Knauth wrote:

We are all now pretty familiar with Sat images, NOAA weather discussions,
clear sky clocks, etc. The link below is spectacular on many fronts. It is
a real time map of lightning strikes from a volunteer amateur network of
automated electronic audio monitors. It tells you where things are rockin'
and rollin'. Inasmuch as the strikes are binned by time, you can actually
tell which way the violent weather is moving. I consult it daily just to see
what the atmosphere is doing where. Pretty addicting, actually. Might be
useful for the "Damn the Monsoon" star parties.

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=30

Very interesting just now (9:45p local) to see
the main systems in the Plains firing simultaneously.
I read a long time ago about the likelihood of the
systems being electrically connected over very
large distances.
The technology involved doesn't seem to cover
much of Africa or South America, where the tropical
belts ought to have more-or-less continuous
thunderstorms going.
If there is a hurricane in the range of
this set-up, it will also be interesting to
compare the near-absence of lighting in them
relative to ordinary thunderstorms.

\Brian