[AZ-Observing] Space stations, Iridiums, and Occultations, Oh My!!!

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 33-doubles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:43:55 -0700

Hey All,

What a morning!  Set the alarm for 4:30, which gave me enough time to learn how
to focus my eyes.  Saturn was a great sight at 125x, clearly showing banding
and the Cassini division.  The moon was no less impressive at the terminator,
with only a very slow, wavy, seeing condition interfering with an otherwise
perfect view.  I kept my eyes on the watch, counting down 'til the ISS flew
through Andromeda.  I've learned the last few ISS passes that it is possible to
see the satellite much earlier than the predicted time, provided you're in the
right conditions.  It certainly makes it more fun.  A few minutes later, the
Iridium was nearly equal in brightness, and was in tune with the predictions on
Heavens Above.  Finally, time for the grand finale.  The moon gently rolled
towards the ringed wonder, and finally made first contact with the ring.
Little by little, the Earth's satellite quietly engulfed the "smaller" planet.
I kept watching, trying not to blink, until the last bit of the ring was
completely covered.  Not a bad morning for my first planetary occultation.

Thad

Thad Robosson
starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx
SAC Member, ATM subgroup Chairman,
Double star enthusiast
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
112 08.03W, 33 32.67N

The use of your "delete" key is authorized.