[AZ-Observing] Re: Space Station Lunar Transit Picture

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:03:24 -0700

Kudos on a great image - and as folks have pointed out - one you just
don't see. (Bright object lunar transit)

And you weren't kidding, Tom, about the parallax of an object in low
earth orbit.

From my vantage point in north Phoenix (Pinnacle Peak and Cave Creek
Road) the ISS passed at what appeared to be around 2 or 3 degrees south
of the moon.  (I'm sure that angle could easily be calculated, but the
math eludes me).

Still, a nice pass to watch.  (I was out observing Saturn and the moon
and enjoyed the bonus).

Respectfully,

Darrell Spencer