[AZ-Observing] Some thoughts on the AAMM

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:40:23 -0700

Just putting together an article about the just concluded AAMM and thought I'd
pass on a few pieces of information.

More people turned in lists and ever before.  There were 61 to be exact.  The
2001 event, one that I pretty much consider the most successful, had 56 lists
turned in.

Yet this year M30 was not thought to be observable.  Looks like Frank Pino,
Tom, Jennifer, Bernie, Frank Kraljic, Paul Lind and Butch Miller proved
otherwise.

I see that George Robinson, from California and a friend of Don Machholz, did
the marathon by memory.  No Goto, no push to, no digital setting circles, no
analog setting circles, no star hop and no star charts.

Jim Jackson, from Eugene, OR, got an SQM measurement of 21.59.  I think that
pretty good for the site, but this is not one of the premiere sites in Arizona.

The combined light of Venus and Zodiacal Light thwarted many from seeing M74.

Although I've received some corrections to the draft table the SAC and EVAC
treasurers haven't yet responded.

Thanks to all and clear skies,
aj