[AZ-Observing] Solar Prominence Time-lapse

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:15:05 -0500

The sun is showing a pretty large prominence today.  Here are 10 frames over a
90-minute period set into motion.  The animation shows a stream running upward,
parallel to the limb of the sun.  If I did my pixel math and trig correctly,
the velocity is on the order of 30,000 mph.  The radial height of that
prominence is roughly 40,000 miles, or five earth diameters.

http://www.pbase.com/image/132006035

The equipment is an Imaging Source digital video camera, acquiring 600 frames
per processed still image through a 70mm Pronto with a 60mm Coronado Hydrogen
Alpha filter.

Tom