[AZ-Observing] Slightly off topic, but somehow related to observing

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:28:40 -0700

OK, this one's for all you electrically minded folks. I'm trying to figure
the current draw on my eq platform (There's the astronomy tie-in). I can't
find a multi meter and frankly other than to measure battery voltage, I'm
not sure I'd know how to use it anyway. So, The motor is a 110v, 4 W C
motor. That is powered by a 12 volt battery through an inverter. Now I
looked up Ohm's law and found the Amps= Power/ Voltage. Given that I get
36.3 Ma. Somehow I remember from the recesses of my high school physics
class that that applies only to DC current, not AC. (Guess I should have
actually done my homework). Can Anyone familiar with the subject advise on
how I'd Calculate the current draw from the battery based on the info given
above. IF more info is needed, what is it and we can try again.

I'm trying to figure out how small a battery I can get away with for a two
nighter.

Thanks
Rick Tejera
President