[AZ-Observing] Re: Shuttle and ISS Pass Tonight

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:43:06 -0700

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. I pulled the car over at 9:06 pm
tonight and and the kids and I were treated to an excellent sight of
the ISS and the Shuttle moving slowly out of the northeast. It's the
first time I've seen them both traveling together, and definitely a
first for the kids. They were actually pretty close to each other--I
estimated them to be about 4.5 seconds apart. The brightest was in
front, which I would have assumed to be the space station except you
and Heavens-Above have noted differently...perhaps it was a matter of
perspective. My daughter was especially excited to see it and we had
a nice discussion about how long they take to orbit the Earth, how
the ISS is kept supplied and how long astronauts stay up their before
they are relieved by the shuttle or a Russian capsule. She decided
that floating around in a couple cramped cylinders for several weeks
or months at a spell was not for her and that she'd keep her feet
planted on the ground thankyouverymuch. My son thought it would be
pretty awesome though =)

Thanks again for the note,
Jeremy