[AZ-Observing] Sharpless 2-88 in Vulpecula

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:44:23 -0700

Howdy all;

On my trip to Sentinel last Sunday night, I observed this nebula in
Vulpecula.  It was not difficult in the Nexstar 11.  You might add it to
your ever-growing observing list.

Steve Coe

Sentinel NS 11 S=5 T=7  22mm Pan no filter   faint, large, elongated
2X1, nebulosity with 12 stars involved.  It is the central 50% of the
field of view.  With the UHC filter and the same eyepiece the nebula is
much more contrasty, but that comes at a price.  The filter gets rid of
about 50% of the nebulosity.  This is unusual for the UHC, in general I
have always seen more nebulosity with the filter, or at least the same
size nebula and better contrast with the UHC filter in place.  Weird.  I
piggybacked the 100mm f/6 RFT refractor onto the Nexstar 11 on this
night and with the 14mm Ultra Wide eyepiece the nebula is extremely
faint and small, it just matches the size of the nebula shown on the
Uranometria chart #162.  Averted vision makes the nebula grow in size,
the UHC filter is no help with this object and the small scope.