[AZ-Observing] Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze for next weekend

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:26:57 -0700

Howdy all;

The re-try on the Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze is set for next weekend, =
April 25 and 26.  The directions to the site are below.  If you are the =
owner of a tarp stand for getting out of the sun during the day, I would =
recommend bringing it.  Jack Jones is getting in contact with the =
company for delivery of a portable toilet for the weekend.  Personally, =
I will not be able to make it until Saturday afternoon, my beautiful =
wife has tickets to a play on Friday night and I am her date.  So, =
please avoid the "you should have been here last night" jibe.  I look =
forward to some good, dark observing with a large group of folks and =
scopes.

Steve Coe
Grand Po-Bah of the Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze=20
The Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze is a chance for astronomers to meet at an =
Arizona dark sky site.  It is sponsored by the Deep Sky Group of the =
Saguaro Astronomy Club in memory of Pierre Schwaar.  There is no =
registration and no fee to attend, just show up and enjoy the night sky. =
 In the past, folks have arrived on Friday, for two nights of observing. =
 There are no facilities at the site, it is just a large flat area in =
the middle of the desert southwest.  It gets both hot and cold, =
depending on the whim of the weather, so bring cool water and warm =
clothes.  Please be courteous about white light, many observers and =
photographers are going after very dim objects.

=20

To get to the site, drive to Gila Bend, AZ. and get on the I-8 freeway =
going west toward Yuma.  The Sentinel exit is #87, about 30 miles west =
from Gila Bend.  Take the exit and go south, under the freeway and =
across the railroad tracks.  Go straight south on the dirt road and =
drive 2 miles until you see a large, flat area of the desert to your =
left, white rocks mark the site.  It is before a cattle guard.  YOU ARE =
THERE!

=20

Steve Coe
Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: clip_image002.jpg