[AZ-Observing] Sentinel - this past weekend

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:28:20 -0700

Well this past weekend at Sentinel is not one to be remembered.  Friday
night Al Stewig, Andrew Goodwin and Richard Payne had lack luster skies
interrupted by three, yes not one or two but three, Border Patrol
vehicles headed south onto the Air Force Gunnery Range.  After a few
hours they returned.  All of this during darkness.  I can still see
Richard silhouetted in their headlights with his hands on hips waiting
to start one of his excellent astrophotos.  In between this we tried to
cover the objects in Cepheus for SAC newsletter.

The neatest observation was SN2004et in NGC6946.  Although we didn't
have a calibration chart, we did have a finder chart, which helped
immensely in finding the star.  After studying it for a while it looked
to be in the 14th mag range.

Saturday morning Andrew and Richard left, hoping for better skies.  By
evening Thad Robosson and Chuck Ackers arrived and the four of us looked
forward to a better night.  It wasn't.  Too many insects and an almost
continuous warm breeze.

Again we looked at SN2004et and Thad and Chuck thought it to be more
like 12th mag.

Both Friday and Saturday discussions covered the upcoming All Arizona
Star Party - which most of us are looking forward to attending.

Here's hoping the weather and outside visitors will be at their best!

aj