[AZ-Observing] Sentinel Star Party

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:54:16 -0700

I showed up between 7:30 - 8:00 and there was nobody there.  On the way up I
drove through the hail storm somewhere around the Vekol off ramp on I-8.  I
thought something hit my car when the first few hit.  It was pretty intense for
a couple of minutes.
When I first started down the dirt road after the railroad tracks, I
encountered the sign that said you needed permission from the base commander
before proceeding down the road.  I assumed we had it and I continued on,
although it did make me pause.  I've never been to Sentinel before.

The place was damp, of course, and dew was sure to form quickly on any SCT.
But the stars shown brightly in a lot of the sky.  I took a couple of 15 second
exposures with my Powershot G3 before leaving:

http://www.members.cox.net/jonc99/picture023.jpg

I tried to get a shot of lightning but all the big bolts would come out when my
camera was busy processing the pictures.

http://www.members.cox.net/jonc99/picture033.jpg

You can see Taurus and The Peiades rising.

On the way back I stopped at Vekol but it was Deserted as well.  Collecting
photons has been pretty hard to do in recent months.

Jon Christensen