[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Sat. 9-22

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:43:25 -0700

Thad et al:

I was looking at Stephan's Quintet too but at the other end of the field!
Somebody shoulda yelled something, I guess. I think the trick to it is that
the outer two galaxies have stars next to them, so if you see the double
galaxy in the center and the diffuse fainter one in a line with it, look for
the galaxies below that next to stars, and you will have all five. This is
where cranking up the power helps a lot. I also looked at 7331 just above
and saw the two faint galaxies next to it and a nice wide dust lane on the
west side.

I was wondering about the darkening you were noticing at the edge of
Saturn's rings. Are you talking about the crepe ring or the B ring?

Not too shabby, knocking down 14th and 15th magnitude NGCs with an f/6 8",
Thad. I had an easier time of it with a 14.5". Maybe I shoulda tried for
some 16-17 mags out of the Dollidshze-Dodidsgzhvinkshkaalii catalog (or
whatever)? As you say, it's worth the extra miles for a truly dark sky. I'm
tendin to agree with you, even at my 12 mi/gal.

Jack Jones