[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Report

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 08:17:10 -0700

Howard,

The road up the cinder cone does terminate there, but the main road
continues after swinging well to the west of the cinder cone.  You can
follow is all the way to Mexico on the satellite photos,  past abandoned
airstrips, and linking into a network of other roads across the AF
range.  That would be a LONG nasty drive across the most formidable
desert the state has to offer, probably why I have seen no sign of
illegal traffic at Sentinel.  I have seen such traffic at Farnsworth
Ranch, Las Cienegas, and heard of it from others at Vekol.  At Las
Cienegas I had about 20-30 illegals pass within a hundred yards of me
while I was observing alone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.826726,-113.205957&spn=0.005113,0.011191&t=k&hl=en

Andrew

Andrew Cooper
http://www.siowl.com

Howard C. Anderson wrote:

>Hi,
>I climbed the hill to the south on Friday and then again with Dave Schafer
>on Saturday.  View from the top with binoculars showed no clear path
>to the site from the south.  Or from any other direction.  Absolutely
>great panoramic view of the bombing range from atop that hill...   It
>looks like it was leveled on top some time in the past probably for
>the purpose of observing the action down in the range...
>
>I really doubt that any traffic from the south is possible.  Certainly
>difficult.
>Most of it would be across an active bombing range.  The area is basically
>volcanic rubble with LOTS of impassable areas.  There must be many
>easier ways to travel into Arizona from Mexico...  Saw no traffic on the
>road Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.  Day and night...  Except for us
>amateur astronomers...

Clip