[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Report

  • From: "Howard C. Anderson" <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:24:06 -0700

Hi,
I climbed the hill to the south on Friday and then again with Dave Schafer
on Saturday.  View from the top with binoculars showed no clear path
to the site from the south.  Or from any other direction.  Absolutely
great panoramic view of the bombing range from atop that hill...   It
looks like it was leveled on top some time in the past probably for
the purpose of observing the action down in the range...

I really doubt that any traffic from the south is possible.  Certainly
difficult.
Most of it would be across an active bombing range.  The area is basically
volcanic rubble with LOTS of impassable areas.  There must be many
easier ways to travel into Arizona from Mexico...  Saw no traffic on the
road Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.  Day and night...  Except for us
amateur astronomers...

Forgot to mention MANY orange flares being dropped on Thursday night.
Steve Coe put his scope on them and said he could see their parachutes...
I had always wondered how they got such long hang times.  Wonder now if
they exploit the updraft from the burning flare material?

Looked like either smoke from things burning or dust when I looked with
binocs on Friday early in the morning.

So anyway, I feel like the site is safe.  Safe enough that I would go
there alone...  (Going alone used to be essential when I was doing
3 and 4 hour film photography shots.  Its better now with CCD and
Webcams...)

Thanks,

Howard

Steven Dodder wrote:

>While we are not as experienced as many, in the years we have been going to
>Sentinel, we have yet to see any activity from INS, Border Patrol or
>illegalsthere.  I see no problems with the site, it is convenient for us and
>moving the party to the north for the convenience of a few seems a pity.
>Pierre was fond of this site, as are Rosie and I.  We often go there by
>ourselves to observe, even if no organized event is scheduled.  We have
>neverseen anything dangerous or even moderately alarming.
>
>Just my 2 cents worth.
>

>Steve and Rosie Dodder sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx Visit my web site at
>http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman
>From:  Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
>To:  <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject:  [AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Report
>Date:  Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:28:23 -0500
>

>>Was there any non-astronomer (Border Patrol or illegal) traffic at the site
>>

>in the past few nights?
>

>>Tom
>>

>--

Thanks,