[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Report

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:59:40 -0700

Andrew,

Glad to see the end of the H400 is near, You should be able to finish them
off by end of galaxy season. I checked the HII list and it doesn't seem that
the objects are dim (Dimmest was 13.3 mag), just friggin small, I guess the
average size was somewhere around 3' or so. Al though I would agree with you
that I'd take a LONG break before biting off that list. I've actually
observe 17 object on that list, mostly stuff that was in the same field or
nearby to other object I was observing.

My plan after the H400 is the best 100 object Beyond the NGC:
http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/BEST-OF-DEEP-SKY-OBJECTS-NOT-IN-THE-NGC.
htm

Glad you had a good night, I was wondering how it was as the wind was
howling pretty good at my house.

See you at the AAMM

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix, Arizona
saguaroastro@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

>I spent the first half of the night touring old friends and a couple new
objects, but was basically killing time waiting for H400 objects to rise.
After midnight the
>objects I needed had risen high enough to appreciate properly and I started
to work, cleaning out Pyx, Lyn and Pup of a few remaining H400 objects as
well as
>chewing on western UMa a little.  It looks like I have 28 objects left,
almost all in UMa, the end is in sight!  Joe suggested I start the HII after
this, but I might not, that >really gets into the dim galaxies!  I have a
few other things to work on before that sort of pain.

Late in the night Canopus rose and began it's pass over the hill to the
south.  I know many guys call the little cinder cone South Mountain.  To me
it is Canopus Hill as I enjoy watching Canopus rise and swing just over it
each time I come to Sentinel.

Around 0300 the breeze had become a steady cold biting wind and I finally
packed it up and pulled out.  I had already had around nine
hours of good observing so I can call it a success.   I wasn't the last,
there were at least two observers still going when I pulled out.

I did get many of the shallow sky objects, including a couple comets when
all was said and done.  And while I did leave the site before Jupiter rise,
it did lead me home, rising above Tucson as I drove.

Andrew

Andrew Cooper