[AZ-Observing] Sentinel Observing Weekend

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:37:34 -0500

Snow is falling steadily outside my office window as I compose this message.
It's hard to believe I was walking around in a short sleave shirt and
regretting not packing a pair of shorts just 48-hours ago.

I thoroughly enjoyed observing at Sentinel over the weekend. The opportunity to
renew old friendships (AJ, Jack, Jenn and Tom) and make new ones (Chris, Jeff,
Matt, Rick, Steve, Thad and others...I'm terrible with names, so please forgive
me if I've left you out.) made the seven-hour, round-trip drive from Flagstaff
worth it.

I arrived Friday evening with 24 Herschel 400 objects remaining to observe and
sketch. All were open star clusters in Canis Major, Monoceros, Puppis and
Pyxis. When I pulled out Sunday morning about 9:30am, that number had been
whittled to eight clusters in Monoceros. If they're not done by March, I'll
probably devote a portion of the marathon weekend to finishing up the H400.

Both Friday and Saturday night began with high, thin clouds playing havoc with
the transparency. Clearing began by 10pm, both nights, which offered several
hours of photometric conditions before twilight. Observing highlights included
NGC 2362, an open cluster in Puppis with a bright, central (foreground?) star
amidst a tightly packed swarm of fainter stars; Saturn and Jupiter at ~400X
(thanks to Tom Polakis for sharing his 5X Powermate); comet C/2002 V1 (NEAT)
and NGC 1999, a combination emission, reflection and dark nebula near M42
(thanks to AJ for recommending it).

Now, I just have to find a way to wash the Sonoran desert dust from my clothes
and gear :o)

Regards,

Bill Ferris
Flagstaff