[AZ-Observing] Re: Seeing at dusk and dawn

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:23:04 -0700 (MST)

>>  My best views of the night were at dusk...
>>  ...best views have been early morning after 3:30am.

     This must be a local effect if it happens night after night, and
caused (most likely) by cool[er] air flows around the valley.  Thus
the seeing-predictor models won't accoutn for this at all, since they
deal only on large-scale patterns (~100 km or larger).  Like elsewhere
in Arizona where these drainages occur, I'd be willing to bet that getting
up on the side of one of the hills around the valley even a couple hundred
feet above the surroundings would provide consistently stable seeing.
Not as convenient as the bleary-eyed 3am backyard, of course, but possibly
worth seeking for special occasions.

     Mars, by the way, has been fairly jaw-dropping through the Lowell
Clark recently at 2am.

\Brian