[AZ-Observing] Re: Seeing Conditions at a Dark Site

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:38:01 -0700

At 09:18 PM 9/4/02 -0700, Bob Erdmann wrote:

>The best that I can tell you is that if you use an observing site regularly,
>you tend to get a sense about its observing "personality"...

Quite a few people in metropolitan Phoenix are now using the Vekol Ranch
site.  One aspect of the site's "personality" is that seeing goes bad some
time between 10 p.m. and midnight on most nights.  At the same moment the
seeing goes bad, you feel a gentle Easterly breeze that is 10 degrees
cooler than it had been up until that time.  The two events are related, as
Brian alluded to.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis