[AZ-Observing] Re: Seeing Conditions at a Dark Site

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 20:39:00 -0700

I use this site quite a bit when preparing for an observing run, especially
for a two nighter.  Just enter you longitude and latitude.  For the zoom
feature I use 4.0 and is something you will need to experiment with to
determine for your own personal tastes.

You can also select altitudes as \Brian indicated.  I select several but
again this is something everyone will have to determine on their own.

It doesn't seem to be correct all the time . . . some good, some not so good
and others just forget about it.  Regardless I still use it and would suggest
others to give it a try - not just once or twice, but for several months.

Blue skies,
aj

Brian Skiff wrote:

>      Upper-air turbulence, which Steve Coe alluded to, can be a problem,
> but can happen pretty much any time of year.  Although you can't do
> anything about it, it _is_ fairly accurately predictable:
>
> http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mab/tke/tke_new.cgi
>
> This won't predict good seeing, but does an excellent job for bad seeing,
> and you can have the advice 12 hours in advance.  I've been choosing the
> least extrapolative map time, and selecting 12000 feet as the altitude
> to look at.  Try it before some observing nights and see how it perfoms
> for you.  I think Frank Kraljic has been using this as an aid for
> planetary observing, and perhaps he can report on how useful it is.

messages.  Thanks.