[AZ-Observing] Seeing Conditions at a Dark Site

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:50:43 -0700

As a novice observer I have a general question about the difference between
seeing (turbulence) conditions in the Phoenix metro area and out in the
desert.

I went to Cherry Rd last Friday.  Weather was perfect.  Dark, clear, calm
and transparent.  But the seeing was poor, too jiggly to observe planets or
double stars.  Still great for DSOs however.  I was out in my backyard the
night before and the weather pattern was similar.  At home, Fountain Hills,
on Thursday the seeing was quite good and I watched double stars with no
problems.

So my question is whether this situation was an anomoly or is it common for
seeing to be better in the city than out in the desert?

Regards

Bill Wood

messages.  Thanks.