[AZ-Observing] Science Center Star Party Report

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:57:56 -0700

Not one of the better star parties. Only 4 telescopes, not too many
people and a flaky sky. It cleared a bit and we got some views of
Venus, Mars and the moon. At least the temperature was mild.

About 8 PM we were attacked by a gang of roller bladers bearing gifts
of light rings. They seemed to be cruising downtown Phoenix looking
for fun. Interesting group.

After the party Stan Gorodenski came over to my place and we
discussed  some PEP. I gave him a simple demonstration using Capella,
the only star I could see through the clouds. Definitely not a
photometric night, but at least I got to go through the procedures. I
hope to stir up some interest and would like to get started on the
Epsilon Auriage Campaign early. I know we have several years yet, but
in addition to getting equipment checked out and calibrated as well
as some practice, noone that I know of has observed the star system
much before or after the eclipse. Who knows what might be found.
Anyone interest please drop me a note. You can use solid state or PMT
and any and all bands (UBVRI) would be welcome. This could also be
great for any one wanting to try out CCD photometry. I may even give
it a shot in addition to the PMT data.

Jeff

http://www.hposoft.com/Astro/astro.html
--