[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturnian Occultation and the rest of the morning sky.

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:45:11 -0700

What the hell is a verdin? Is there one on the moon? :-)

The sunspot number for today is 291, but that includes several factors in
the equation. Still in sunspot max cycle.

Do you mean 11:00 or 5:00 position for Titan?  Don't forget to watch Venus
with a crescent moon on the morning of the 15th!  (JOMA)

Libration is a monthly oscillation up-down and side-to-side. Some libration
zone lunar objects are included in the SAC Best 110 Lunar Objects list as
challenges. -Place shameless plug here-

I think we should print T-Shirts to commemorate this event!!!

Jack Jones

> A Saturnian occultation was the best way I've started a week!  Just so
> amazing! And within the best sign ever that cool weather (closer observing
> spots) and longer observing nights are near--The Winter Hexagon!!!  I
> loved
cut
> I think I saw Titan at ~11:00 position to Saturn, did anybody else?
>
> The 3rd quarter Moon was noticeably supersized with Grimaldi well within
> the
> limb and a few not always observable features exposed. I wonder how long
> the
> Moon will be at this libration, is it a seasonal occurrence or some other
> period?  Are any of these objects on the SAC 110 Moon list!
>
> Did anyone notice the massive chains of Sunspots?  The most I've seen in a
> while.  Maybe 100 sizeable to huge ones concentrated onto one side in a
> long
> and shorter chain.
cut