[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn occultations

  • From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:52:43 -0700

To answer Thad's question... A little bit of both, really.  Leroy
Paller, Gerry Rattley, and I videotaped the 28 Sgr occultation by Saturn
some years ago.  The star flickered in and out, sometimes being lost
completely from view, and then popping back in when it was behind a
gap.  We saw many, many events as Saturn slowly made its way in front of
the star (which was somewhat brighter than this time).  While the
sequence of events is essentially the same for all Earth bound
observers, the exact timing differs slightly from different locations.
(I can prove that, as I have three videotapes of the 28 Sgr events,
taken from different locations.

Good luck!

Gene Lucas
(17250)