[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn occultations

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:23:38 -0700

Hey All,

be ready to look around 10:20 Friday evening, and a short time later, the
event begins.  However, Saturn will be low, around 20 degrees above the
horizon, which means most of us will be looking over our neighbor's roofs.
A short trip to a good horizon may be in order.

And a question....will the star "blink" in and out through the rings like in
a lunar occultation, or will it be more of a "dimming"?  I've never seen an
occultation like this.

As an aside, I caught myself starting to make a finder chart for the 8th mag
star that SATURN was to occult....Du'oh!!!!

Thad