[AZ-Observing] Saturn occultation

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ctayltay" <ctayltay@xxxxxxx>, <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:55:19 -0700

Greetings all;

Well, the Moon certainly passed in front of Saturn, just like Guide 7 said it
would.  Using my 7 inch Maksutov at 225X I got a pretty steady view, even with
a modest cloud deck over Phoenix, Arizona.  The clouds dimmed the Moon which
allowed for convenient viewing and the seeing was mediocre but slow moving.

I watched for the disappearence of the satellite Titon about 5 minutes before
the rings, so I knew exactly where the limb of the Moon was located.  Once
Saturn's rings arrived at that place, they too started to disappear.  Over the
next 72 seconds the dark limb of the Moon slowly but consistently drew a
curtain in front of the beautiful rings and disk of the planet Saturn.  The
edge of the Moon had a small change in elevation at the spot where Saturn was
occulted and there was a definate shallow valley in dark cross section across
the disk of Saturn.

All in all, a fascinating view;
Steve Coe

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx