[AZ-Observing] Saturn last night

  • From: "Don Hinchliffe" <don.hinchliffe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:21:02 -0700

Hello everyone.
I am a long time arm-chair observer who finally got a scope, 8" Orion XTi. I
have been exploring the stars from my backyard for 4 months now.
Unfortunately there is a street light 40 feet from where I set my scope.
Inspite of being a mere novice and a bad viewing local, I have to give a
report on last night.

I only had about 30 minutes to observe but it was an amazing time. I saw the
Cassini Division as well as cloud bands! I have been watching Saturn almost
since I got my scope but never saw this detail before. Just a guess but I
would rate the seeing at 9 or better. I put in my 8mm Orioin Stratus and saw
some incredible detail, so I tried adding my barlow. Every time I have tried
my barlow on the 8mm it never worked as well as expected, but last night was
near perfect. The image was stable and clear. If not for having to work
today I would have packed up and headed for a dark sky local.

It is hard not to sound giddy when you have finally spotted something that
you have been looking for.  I had a dime store Tasco for several years and
watched the moons of jupiter and the bumps of saturn. But this was a great
night. I hope to have a good night this weekend when I can finally head out
of town to find a dark local.

Clear Skies!

Don