[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn and M1

  • From: "Mike Mello" <mmello@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 12:42:00 -0700

Tom, I couldn't agree more! I also enjoyed a stunning view of Saturn and M1
at Vekol this past Monday night. Seeing was very good and I was easily able
to easily frame both objects  using a 12mm Nagler Type 4 eyepiece.
Theoretical FOV for this eyepiece in the Ceravolo is ~23'. The sky was jet
black between both objects and I too couldn't get over how beautifully M1
glowed even with Saturn so bright in the same field. A few of us had
observed this pair on Saturday evening and we could barely detect M1 that
night owing to very poor seeing conditions. I was amazed at how much the
view improved a few nights later under much improved seeing. In a purely
aesthetic sense it was as if Saturn were illuminating the M1 "cloud".

-Mike