[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn Storm Time-lapse

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:41:45 -0700

Excellent Tom!

Yes.  Rotation rate of about 10.5 hours is
360/(10.5*6)  or 5.7 degrees every 10 minutes.

(Rotation rate is more precisely 10 hours, 39 minutes and 22.4 seconds
+/- 8minutes?.
You can derive a more accurate figure if desired...  5.7
is close enough to provide the general idea...  :-)
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9100-saturns-rotation-puts-astronomers-in-a-spin.html

)

Chris Schur wrote:

>Tom, its interesting how fast saturn rotates.  Looks like that white "dragon"
>storm is really spreading out now.  Great stuff!
>Clear Skies,
>

>Chris
>

>Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com

Thanks,