[AZ-Observing] Saturn Occultation this Morning

  • From: Herve Dole <hdole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:03:58 -0700

I put some digital images of this morning's occultation on:

http://lully.as.arizona.edu/~hdole/amateurastro/20011228MoonSaturn/

Well, they are far from perfect because I had no adapter for my Nikon
Coolpix to my small Meade ETX 90 EC (by the way, thanks for the messages
on this list about the adaptor question; I finally ordered to Orion a
SteadyPix system, we'll see next week how it goes). But even with the
camera in my hands, the results are encouraging !

Anyway, it was a spectacular observation (my first occultation indeed),
and I was amazed by 1) the size comparison of Saturn and the Moon 2) the
beauty of having these 2 celestial bodies in one field of telescopic
view 3) the speed of the phenomenon, in just seconds Saturn disappeared
!

Herve

  Dr Herve Dole             | Research Associate - Astrophysics
  Steward Observatory       | Deep Infrared Surveys SIRTF MIPS
  University of Arizona     | Phone: 520 626 2958 Fax: 520 621 9555
  933, North Cherry Avenue  | mailto:hdole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Tucson, AZ, 85721, USA    | http://lully.as.arizona.edu/~hdole