[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturday night on the back patio with the C11/CGE

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:22:08 -0700

Matt,
I would love to sometime see the moon through your scope. The reason is
because I am not sure a SCT, or any catadiptric telescope, has good
contrast when viewing the moon. I remember once years ago seeing the
moon on the rooftop at ASU and the image did not at all compare to the
one through my 12.5" D-K. It has very good contrast, and part of the
reason is because I lined the baffle and focus tube with cloth felt, the
kind that has numerous black hairs sticking up. I would appreciate
anyone's opinion on contrast in a SCT, or any catadiptric, discounting
the central obstruction, compared to other telescope designs.
Stan