[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturday at Flat Iron

  • From: "Kimball Corson" <kcorson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:15:01 -0700

Supplemental Report

While it was hot and very humid early Saturday night at Flat Iron, as the
night wore on, it cooled off, a slight breeze came up, and the lone cloud in
the sky vanished.  It was actually fun then and everyone was busy looking
through their own and other's scopes. AJ's comet views needed serious
rehabilitation in order to conform with novice expectations of a comet
should look like, with a nice bright head and a clearly discernable tail,
instead of pretending to be globular clusters to fake us newbies out.

My C-9.25 Adv Series Go To is in fact quite noisy, as AJ suggests, being
only slightly less so than an electric coffee grinder. Hopping about on
celestial objects, it can generate a rather sustained ruckus. However, noise
aside, for those who wonder whether a CG-5 mount, with Go To added on and
the new beefier tripod, is stable with a C-9.25, the answer is resounding
"yes." Celestron damping pucks under the tripod legs take dampening times to
virtually zero. Such was not true for the older CG-5 with aluminum legs and
a C-9.25.

Also, it was interesting to compare views on the same objects with Gary and
Barbara's C-11 and my C-9.25. Both scopes had XLT coatings, adding about an
inch of effective aperture based on light throughput.  Image brightness was
approximately equalized on both scopes by reducing the power on the C-9.25
by eyepiece selection by a 1/3 or so; however, otherwise the brightness
difference was there and clearly discernable.

However, for Cherry Road coming up, I can leave the coffee grinder at home,
for after 21 months of waiting my Portaball 12.5 has at last arrived with
its delay-creating Zambuto mirror. The mirror is the best of the last batch
for which Carl Z will provide technical specifications (Relative Transverse
Aberration = 0.24; Peak to Valley Wave Front = 1/27.8; Wavefront RMS 1/89;
and Strehl Ratio = 0.995).  In the future, Carl will only provide a
guarantee the mirror is diffraction limited. Now if the Portaball just had
Go To features or if I just better knew the night sky, I would be all set.
However, I guess I should be grateful for the scope arriving while I still
have sight, am not beset by Alzheimer's and I am still living.  It was quite
a wait, and I will see whether it was worth it..

Of course, the clear implication now is that not only will Cherry Road be
clouded over this nest weekend, but fog is likely as well. The fundamental
law of Physics may well be at work: "Nature is perverse."

Kimball Corson