[AZ-Observing] Saturday Night at Cherry Road

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "david fredericksen" <david.fredericksen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Joe Macke" <joe01@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>, "Kimball Corson" <kandj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <polakis@xxxxxxxx>, "Rich Walker" <rhwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:07:30 -0700

Howdy all;
I know that the server was down for a while, this message should test that.

I have had a sick couple of days and to be honest I just don't know if I have
it within me to go scoping tomorrow.  However, it does seem that several folks
are looking to head out for Cherry Road on Saturday night.  If so, leave by
5:30 or so, that way you can get a good spot and enjoy the night.

If the "az observing" server is back up and you get this message twice, I
apologize.  If it is not, then use the "reply to all" button and we can still
hold this conversation among the usual gang.

Directions to the Cherry Road West observing site

Take I-17 north for about 70 miles from Phoenix.  Take the Cherry Road exit and
turn left (west) over the freeway.  This is also Hwy. 169.  Go west about 5
miles, just beyond mile marker 10.  There is a sign which says "Cherry 6", at
the sign turn left (south).  Note:  this is the opposite way that the arrow on
the sign points.  You will be on a pretty well-maintained dirt road.  However,
there are some natural speed bumps, so drive slow.  The site is located 5/10 of
a mile south of the hard surface of Cherry Road.  The observing field is on the
right, through a gate.  Please keep this cattle gate closed if you are the last
to leave.

Clear Skies, whether I am there or not;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org