[AZ-Observing] Re: Satellite Galaxies

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 19:02:21 -0700

Thanks.  Your site is very nice.  I didn't realize these 10 galaxies
were so close, relatively speaking.  I was confused to see them being
called satellite galaxies of our galaxy in the S&T article.  In your web
site you mentioned that Triangulum is not considered a satellite of
Andromeda.   What criteria is used to classify a galaxy as a satellite
of another vs. just being part of a local group?

Stan

Wil Milan wrote:

> At 10:05 AM 5/6/2001, you wrote:
>
> >Page 24 of the January 2001 issue of S&T in the Newsnote titled "The LMC
> >in Radio" states the following:
> >"The LMC is the largest and most important of the Milky Way's 11 known
> >dwarf satellite galaxies".
> >Does anyone know what the other 10 are?
>
> SMC                     (195 KLy)
> Sculptor Dwarf  (293 KLy)
> Fornax Dwarf    (456 KLy)
> Carina Dwarf            (326 KLy)
> Sextans Dwarf   (293 KLy)
> Draco Dwarf             (261 KLy)
> Sagittarius Dwarf       (97 KLy)
> Leo I Dwarf             (815 KLy)
> Leo II Dwarf            (685 KLy)
> Ursa Minor Dwarf        (196 KLy)
>
> For a complete listing (including coordinates) of the known members of the
> Local Group see
>
> http://www.astrophotographer.com/Local_cluster_data_table.htm
>
> For an animated 3-D plot of what the Local Group looks like, see
>
> http://www.astrophotographer.com/Local_cluster_plot.htm
>
> Aside: The exact membership of the Local Group is a matter of some debate.
> The above listing is based on data from the NGC/IC Project, courtesy of our
> own Bob Erdmann, who is one of the team members of the project.
>
> Wil Milan
> http://www.astrophotographer.com/
> "The heavens declare the glory of God
> And the firmament proclaims His handiwork."
>    -- Psalm 19:1
>

> >Stan
> >---
> >This message is from the AZ-Observing mailing list.  If you wish to be
> >removed from this list, send E-mail to: AZ-Observing-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> >with the subject: unsubscribe.
> >
> >This is a discussion list.  Please send personal inquiries directly to
> >the message author.  In other words, do not use "reply" for personal
> >messages.  Thanks.
>
> ---
> This message is from the AZ-Observing mailing list.  If you wish to be
> removed from this list, send E-mail to: AZ-Observing-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> with the subject: unsubscribe.
>
> This is a discussion list.  Please send personal inquiries directly to
> the message author.  In other words, do not use "reply" for personal
> messages.  Thanks.
---