[AZ-Observing] Re: Satellite Galaxies

  • From: Wil Milan <wmilan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 10:35:40 -0700

At 10:05 AM 5/6/2001, you wrote:

>Page 24 of the January 2001 issue of S&T in the Newsnote titled "The LMC
>in Radio" states the following:
>"The LMC is the largest and most important of the Milky Way's 11 known
>dwarf satellite galaxies".
>Does anyone know what the other 10 are?

SMC                     (195 KLy)
Sculptor Dwarf  (293 KLy)
Fornax Dwarf    (456 KLy)
Carina Dwarf            (326 KLy)
Sextans Dwarf   (293 KLy)
Draco Dwarf             (261 KLy)
Sagittarius Dwarf       (97 KLy)
Leo I Dwarf             (815 KLy)
Leo II Dwarf            (685 KLy)
Ursa Minor Dwarf        (196 KLy)

For a complete listing (including coordinates) of the known members of the
Local Group see

http://www.astrophotographer.com/Local_cluster_data_table.htm

For an animated 3-D plot of what the Local Group looks like, see

http://www.astrophotographer.com/Local_cluster_plot.htm

Aside: The exact membership of the Local Group is a matter of some debate.
The above listing is based on data from the NGC/IC Project, courtesy of our
own Bob Erdmann, who is one of the team members of the project.

Wil Milan
http://www.astrophotographer.com/
"The heavens declare the glory of God
And the firmament proclaims His handiwork."
   -- Psalm 19:1