[AZ-Observing] SaguaroAstronomyClubMeetingFriNov7th7:30p.m.

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <EVAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:08:45 -0700

The speaker is Ken Graun.  He is the author of many books for the amateur
astronomer including _Touring the Universe_.  He has also created some
popular planispheres and star charts.  And you might have seen him at The
Riverside Telescope Makers Conference with the exact replicas he built of
Galileo's telescopes.

Everyone is invited; you don't have to be a member to attend a meeting.
This will be a great meeting to bring your family to--not too technical, but
informative with interesting visuals.  So it will still be enjoyable for
even the most jaded amateurs amongst us, while still being interesting for
your spouse, children, and newbies to the best hobby ever.

His website, What's Out Tonight? http://www.kenpress.com/ , has a nice
printable monthly star chart with a lot of useful information. There is even
a link to E-mail him astronomy related questions.   Ken's site (and Ken) is
a good resource to pass along to budding astronomers, educators, and folks
attending the public star parties.

The title of his talk is "Tour of the Solar System" which he describes as:
"What is a solar system? How big are the planets compared to each other? Why
is Pluto no longer a planet? Where is the largest volcano in the Solar
System located? Is it possible to hold an asteroid in your hands? Get
answers to these questions and more as you sit back and enjoy a visual tour
of our Solar System. Nothing technical—just fun and informative—geared for
everyone."

Bring along your Ken Graun publications for him to autograph.  We will also
have a copy of _Touring the Universe_ included in our "50/50 raffle"
(courtesy of Starizona http://starizona.com ), and I've requested Ken to
bring some of his works to sell at the meeting.

We meet at Grand Canyon University 3300 West Camelback, Phoenix:
I17 to Camelback. West on Camelback to 33rd Avenue (this is a small traffic
lighted intersection just east of the big one on 35th Ave. and Camelback)
Right onto 33rd Ave. which is also an entrance to the university.  Continue
to the guard gate, tell the guards you're there for the astronomy club
meeting, turn left and park.  Walk back toward the guard gate and turn left
onto the lighted pathway; we meet in the last building on the right, the
Fleming building.  Enter and follow your ears to our meeting.

After the meeting we go to JB's Restaurant SouthWest corner of Northern and
35th Ave for some further camaraderie over a piece of pie.

Hoping to see you there.

Contact me offline for any questions regarding this Saguaro Astronomy Club
meeting.

Kind regards,
Jennifer Polakis, VP M24@xxxxxxx 480 967-1658
Saguaro Astronomy Club www.saguaroastro.org