[AZ-Observing] Sacrifice to the Clouds

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:26:42 -0700

Our many thanks to those observers who left the Marathon around
midnight...   and took the clouds with you!

From about 1am til dawn the sky was beautiful!  Not a wisp of haze in
most of the sky, except some heavy stuff on the northern and eastern
horizons.  Of course the clouds on the eastern horizon were the bane of
those waiting for the last messier items to rise, M2, M72 and M73 were
well off the horizon before they could be spotted.  M30 was impossible!
Careful calculations of elevation at various stages of twilight all for
nought, the cloud bank just hung there.  No bother to those of us not
marathoning, but it did depress the possible sccore by a couple objects.

Carter was hoping to tie his 106 record, but was stopped at 103 by the
cloudbank on the northern horizon that precluded observation of the
M31/M32/M110 trio as it rose again in the morning.

For me the night was a success, good webcam material of Jupiter in the
evening as the seeing was very good, complete with a Ganymede & shadow
transit.  I cleaned out Hydra and Gemini of H400 objects (except for two
13th mag. planetaries in Gem that I left for a better night and a bigger
scope).  And in the clear morning air I chewed on Virgo for a few hours.
 I have finished Leo and part of Virgo, the bulk of what I have left is
LMi, Com, CVn and UMa, Galaxies!!  20 more down, another 150 to go, more
or less.

Many happy faces amoung those who stuck out the clouds and were able to
enjoy the morning hours.

Andrew

--

Andrew Cooper