[AZ-Observing] Re: SAO Database

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 13:04:54 -0700

>      hmmm...the more-or-less identical catalogue is available from the
>CDS-Strasbourg either as a bulk catalogue or instantaneously searchable
>using their VizieR query utility.  Details here:
>
>http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/Cat?V/15
>
>The SAO itself of course has been superceded about a half dozen times,
>so if you actually want a precise position, it's best to look elsewhere.
>The current choice is Tycho-2, but this will soon be replaced for stars
>from mag. 8 and fainter by UCAC2, due out Any Day Now (probably a month
>or six weeks before it's at VizieR).  Tycho-2 and UCAC1 can also be
>obtained/searched using VizieR, as can 3000+ other files.  Start exploring:
>
>http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/VizieR
>
>\Brian

While I am sure there are many catalogs available, what I did was
take the SAO database and convert it into my own database design
structure. The data is from the SAO database, but the way you use it
is now different and I think a lot easier.

One of the big uses I have is when doing PEP many times stars are
given by one ID without information on location and UBV magnitudes.
Having the ability to easy cross reference makes this very nice. Most
amateur work can glean almost all data of interest on a star from
this database. I have a stack of manuals with data and if you do not
know the designation used in the manual or if the reference is not in
the order of the that given it can be near impossible to find the
information.

BTW, all the fields have been indexed for very fast searches. No
other programs are needed to use it.

Again, I feel it very easy to use and the cost is right.

Jeff

--
                                           Jeff Hopkins
                                            HPO SOFT