[AZ-Observing] Re: SAC rating system

  • From: "William R Wood" <w.wood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 06:51:48 -0700

As long as the observers use the same test procedure (memorize or refer to
the scale, similar test star, magnitude and altitude, min magnification to
produce an Airy disc with first diffraction ring) the results should vary
only by aperture.  And as Steve said, after you compare results with folks
you are familiar with a few times the comparisons should be consistent.
Mostly, however, I am concerned about keeping my own results consistent over
time so I refer to the animation on my laptop and compare that to what I see
in the EP.  It is easy to see results that fall between the scale numbers
(ie 2.5/10) but mostly seeing varies quite a bit so I cannot put a single
number on it and usually record a range (ie 2-3/10 with moments of 4/10).

By the way I know nothing about big scopes, a 10" is the biggest I have
used.  I have no idea whether the Pickering test works on bigger apertures.

Regards,

Bill Wood