[AZ-Observing] SAC PUBLIC STAR PARTY AT THUNDERBIRD PARK SATURDAY APRIL 17, 2010

  • From: Jack Jones <telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:58:01 -0700

Hello All!

We are celebrating Astronomy Day a week early on Saturday April 17 this year
to enjoy a better Moon phase, plus we won't have any conflict with ASC
events on the official National Astronomy Day the following week
(http://www.astroleague.org/al/astroday/astroday.html). See the Friday April
16 Arizona Republic for possible mention of our event at Thunderbird
Conservation Park.

The Saguaro Astronomy Club of Phoenix and the Glendale Parks and Recreation
Department will host the 2010 Spring Public Star Party on Saturday April 17,
from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM at Thunderbird Conservation Park in Glendale (Ramada
12). You may start setting up at 6:00 PM or earlier.

Sunset is at 7:00 PM. The Moon will be a waxing crescent with 11%
illuminated. Saturn will be seeable, with narrowing rings, and we will be
showing Saturn and a shrinking Mars, along with a beautiful Venus, crescent
Moon and Pleiades together, a challenging Mercury, maybe a comet or two, and
other celestial objects and deep sky wonders through our telescopes,
starting at dusk. Club members please be available to answer questions from
the general public on Astronomy and the Universe in general.

The entrance to the Park HAS CHANGED this year. No longer is the observing
site accessible from 59th Ave! You will need to go to the 67th Ave entrance.
It is 1 1/2 mi. north of the 101 on 67th Avenue. Turn right (east) at the
entrance at Patrick. Follow the signs in the park to the parking area. It is
at Ramada #12. See the map on the SAC website (URL below).

It is recommended to bring plenty of bottled water to stay hydrated and also
a stepstool for the little ones. The event is free. Weather permitting.

Please join us for an evening under the stars!

You may distribute this announcement to friends, neighbors, and coworkers.
Also a flyer is available on the SAC Website.

Thx!

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club