[AZ-Observing] Rotating Globe of Jupiter Images

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:27:28 -0500

I have been fortunate to be out with my little 10-inch scope and Webcam on five
nights with very good seeing and Jupiter high in the sky.  Even though I have
spotty coverage of Jupiter's range of longitudes, I put together a cylindrical
projection map of Jupiter from the five images.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/141175506

The tool for producing the projections and stitching them together is the
amazing freeware WinJUPUS.  Since the time range of the images is 2 1/2 months
and Jupiter's features move, we get two of some of them near the seams.  The
next thing to do is wrap these images around a globe and create an animated GIF
of it rotating, which WinJUPOS also does well.

The rotating globe is this 5 Mb animated GIF.  Hopefully I can grab a few more
images in the next month or two, which will go a long way toward eliminating
those seams.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/141175453

Tom