[AZ-Observing] Re: Roadless Act Input Sought by State

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:57:59 -0700

Brian,

Thank you for chiming in. I am sure a large and visible organization
like Lowell/USNO would be treated welI by the Forest Service.

I want to make it clear that we are not talking about roads created
by monster trucks or off-the-road vehicles.  Off the road travel is
illegal and a different issue. What the roadless fiasco is about is
closing roads that have been around for a 100 years or more and newer
roads that have been created with approval. These roads are used by
people that live there and must use the roads to access their
property.

There are some in the Forest Service that would fine you if you were
caught on any Forest Service road without permission. Many may not
realize that when you buy a hunting license that in addition to
allowing you to bag game, it gives you permission to use National
Forest roads and walk on National Forest land. If you get arrested
the punishment is a fine up to $2,500 and 6 months in jail.

While the Federal Court put a stop to this in 2003, it has not ended.
If enough people do not speak up, it is quite possible the next time
you head out to your favorite dark sky site that the road will be
closed or no longer there or if you make to the site you may find
yourself leaving with a ticket or worse - in handcuffs.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT