[AZ-Observing] Re: Rigorous Precession

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:11:42 -0700

Ken,
I did not know you had worked with Dick and Helen Lines years ago. I
used to visit them and their location in Mayer is one reason I bought
and put up  my observatory where I did. Unfortunately, Dick passed away
in 1991, and the property was sold (to an amateur).

I am sure the book you are suggesting is very good, but also, the
formulas in "The Sky Catalogue 2000.0" are very adequate for what AJ is
doing, I believe. They gave almost exact estimates of RA and DEC for
Polaris that Bradley measured in 1755, RA 0h 43m 42.2s vs. 0h 43m 43s,
Dec 87degrees 59' 41'' vs. 87degrees 59' 41''. Since this is so accurate
going back 245 years, it seems safe to assume they would be very
accurate for smaller time periods. The "The Sky Catalogue 2000.0" has
the proper motions for all (as far as I can see) the stars down to 8th
magnitude. If anyone is interested in the algorithms from this book, I
can scan the two pages and put them on my web space.

Of course, you are more an expert than me and so your judgment reigns.
Stan