[AZ-Observing] Report from Hovatter Norte

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:43:18 -0700

Wonderful was the vigil I kept at Hovatter Norte Thursday and Friday nights.
Great skies, perfect temperatures, and the 25? Obsession working like a champ.
Of the many astonishing and memorable sights, I cannot get 3 out of mind
tonight.

 1)  Using the drives to slowly cruise back and forth with a 13 mm Ethos along
the innermost dark lane of M31.  Strands, filaments, clumps and knots that
extend into the adjacent star clouds slowly drift through the field.  The
blindingly luminous core floats past, then star clouds on both sides.  Reaching
the last star clouds, I reverse course and do it again.  Maybe 5 times over
half an hour.  Only someone without a soul would not get choked up.  Like being
there.

  2) M 33 filling the whole field of the same eyepiece.  The spiral structure
defined by individual star clouds arranged in segments and rows.  The big
emission nebula is barely outside the field, and it gives a jolt when moved
into view.  No photo of M 33 can compare.  A truly mystical, spine-tingling
sight.  Couldn?t let it go and even had to make a return trip up the ladder.
Seeing is believing.

 3)  Perseus galaxy cluster.  18 galaxies with direct vision in the field of
the same eyepiece (Ethos 13 mm again).  Probably more, but I was in such an
awkward position at the top of the huge stepladder it wasn?t easy to use time
and averted vision to go for a real count.  Fantastic little wisps of light of
various shapes and sizes.  Knowing that each wisp is a whole galaxy of stars
made this more than a view.

There was so much more.  A few galaxies described as ?faint smudge? in my 12.5?
observing notes appear as little spirals in the 25?.  Words are inadequate.

My legs are sore today from so many trips up and down the ladder.  Shoulders,
too, from hefting the huge ladder around with the wheelbarrow arrangement
suggested by Bill Anderson.  No complaints, other than I have to wait another
month.

Yahoos camped about 3/4 mile away and set off explosions and heavy ordinance
for several hours Friday night.  I finally let out a sustained honk to let them
know to point away (a gamble). They actually stopped, and I had a great night.
This is not the first time that heavy night shooting has come from that
direction.  I didn?t have the phone number of the sheriff but will next time.
Hovatter Norte may be nearing the end as a weekend observing site, but it is
worth a try to save it a bit longer.  At least from the irresponsible night
shooters.

Paul Knauth