[AZ-Observing] Re: Red Lamp

  • From: "mcqz" <mcqz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:37:53 -0700

I can't help you with the $50 lamp, but I did conversions on 3 different
lamps, 1 for me and the other 2 as gifts for friends.  The first lamp I
bought was $19.95 at Home Depot.  Each of the others was different, but
there were no real problems.  The only caution is to be sure there is enough
room in the top for the circuit board.

It took about a week to get the parts delivered to our remote location and
about a month for me to get around to starting.  The first lamp took about 5
hours as I figured out what I was looking at and how to make it work.  The
others took about 1.5  - 2 hours each.  I kind of cheated, I set them up as
12v only, with a $5.00 adapter for use where there is AC available.

The cheapest lamp was under $10.00 and the parts cost about $7.00.  If you
consider the time spent as education (as I did) it is a pretty good bargain.
If you charge yourself $50.00 per hour for labor, then it might not be worth
it...

Just my $0.07.
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ